Seek out the Northern Lights, embrace cold water therapy and traverse the Valley of Thor by super jeep
Escape the tourists with a Super jeep tour through the valley of Thor
Where We Stay
About your trip
Iceland: it’s been traveled by many, but not like this.
Private super Jeep expeditions across the dramatic Valley of Thor – no other vehicles in sight. A remote hike and exclusive Icelandic lunch on a vast, shimmering glacier. Complete immersion in freezing waters with a cold water therapy guru and, of course, Northern Lights spotting every single night, often from the warmth of a hot tub beneath the stars.
From your expert local guide who happens to be an expert at seeking the Northern Lights to some of the best, most unique meals that the country has to offer; nothing on this five-day adventure is off-the-shelf.
Yes, it’s definitely still Iceland, but this is Iceland done differently.
- Max 14 travellers per group
- Exclusively for people in their 30s & 40s
- All activities mentioned on the itinerary
- 4 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- Hand-picked 4 star hotels
- We offset 0.04 tCO2e (carbon) per person on this trip
- Tips for the guide
- Private minibus, Jeeps & snowmobile
- Accommodation in twin rooms
- Experienced Pack Leader with you throughout the trip
Flashpackers are required to produce proof of COVID-19 vaccination 30 days before departure. Remember, flights aren't included and prices are based on sharing a twin room. If you'd like to upgrade to a single room, you can add this during the booking process or by contacting our Customer Experience team
Day 01 Arrival in Reykjavík and welcome dinner
Welcome to Reykjavík, Iceland’s coastal capital and your gateway to arctic adventure. Arriving into the city in the early evening, you’ll check in to the cosy Canopy Hotel, an unconventional boutique abode with past lives as a furniture factory, music venue, and arts hub. Settled and ready to get to know your fellow adventurers over some food, you’ll be taken for four courses of delicious Icelandic seafood at one of the city’s most revered spots (there will be incredible veggie options too). Sated, take a wander down to the waterfront for a quick peek at the skies – the Northern Lights have been known to appear over the city, even if the light pollution makes them a little harder to spot (something you won’t have to worry about soon enough).
Day 02 Glacier hiking & 4* luxury
This morning it’s into the wilderness for your half day hike across the vast, blue hued Sólheimajökull Glacier. Your experienced guide will lead you through a series of ice caves and intriguing formations, and you’ll stumble across a labyrinth of crevasses and ridges (with a few Flash Pack surprises along the way…). Eventually you’ll stop for an al-fresco picnic right there on the ice, feeling as though these landscapes are yours alone. From one exclusive delight to another – after lunch you’ll move to your 4* lodgings at the famed Hotel Rangá. Set in a remote region of the Icelandic countryside, here you’ll have access to outdoor hot tubs (ideal for Northern Lights watching), luxurious rooms and world-class Nordic cuisine, which you’ll get to experience three-courses of this evening.
Day 03 Super jeep & snowmobiles
Today will be truly thrilling as you embark on an off-road, super jeep adventure across the wild Valley of Thor. You’ll be in a vehicle that can handle any terrain, and so have the ability to take you far, far from the crowds. We’re talking flying across unbridged rivers, through crevice passes and over mountainous areas that would be unreachable if it wasn’t for the huge wheels and sheer power of a Jeep. Afterwards, refuel with lunch and prepare for yet another thrilling activity: a guided tour through the Icelandic highlands and glaciers from the back of a snowmobile. Nothing but crisp cool air and spectacular scenery on this 60-minute chilled ride, during which you’ll get the chance both to drive and enjoy as a passenger. Back at Hotel Rangá, warm up in your hot tub before another delicious three courses and some more Northern Lights hunting.
Day 04 A Unique Lunch & Cold Water Therapy
Today you’ll get a chance to tick off the iconic sights of the Golden Circle – think bursting geysers and raging icy waterfalls. Then, it’ll be back to the unique as you enjoy an unusual treat, a tomato lunch at Fridheimar tomato farm. You’ll be delighted at the unique ways in which the Fridheimar owners use their fruit to craft delicious soup, bread, and dessert. The best part (aside from the flavours)? You’ll be dining in a greenhouse, sure to make for a totally unique experience. Now for the climax to your Icelandic adventure: a meeting with Andri, an Icelandic Cold Water Therapy expert. Renowned across Iceland – Andri will coach you as you immerse yourself in freezing Icelandic waters – teaching you about the many health benefits of the practice. Back at the Canopy Hotel in Reykjavik you can warm up and prepare for your final night meal which will be an outstanding tasting menu at Grillmarket – yet another jewel in the city’s restaurant crown.
Day 05 A morning on your terms
Spend a lazy morning at your hotel, enjoying a slow breakfast. You’ll have time this morning to fit in an optional trip to the Blue Lagoon, or you can simply wander the city with your group as you reminisce on the beauty of the adventure you’ve enjoyed together.
Our Favourite Hotels
We have secured rooms in these hotels for all of our departures
Geothermal tubs, volcanos, and an observatory for viewing and photographing the elusive Northern Lights are just some of the things that make Hotel Rangá so special. Their restaurant boasts a menu of fresh, local, gourmet cuisine and you can dine while you gaze across the uninterrupted glacial landscapes before you.
CANOPY HOTEL, REYKJAVIK
This sophisticated boutique hotel is lodged in the heart of Reykjavík. Its striking decor is influenced by the building’s former uses as a furniture factory, a music venue and an art hub, creating a stylish eclectic vibe with easy access to the buzzing city life in Reykjavík.
- Which airport do I need to fly in and out of? Plus airport code
Fly into and out of Reykjavik-Keflavík International Airport (KEF).
- What time should my flight arrive? (so arrive in time for the welcome meeting)
Please arrive in Reykjavik before 5pm on day 1. We suggest arranging a flight home after 4:30pm on day 4, to ensure that you don’t miss out on the Blue Lagoon experience.
- Will I see the Northern Lights?
You can see the Northern Lights from late August to May, but it’s best to visit between October and April.
The night skies will be much darker, improving your chances but please note that sightings are never guaranteed.
- Do you include airport transfers?
We offer one arrival transfer which is private to Flash Pack. Sometimes this means waiting in the airport for a short while until other flights have arrived so you can make your own way to the first hotel if you wish.
We don’t include a departure transfer however as the airport is approximately 20 minutes away from the Blue Lagoon, with the cost in a taxi being around 9,000 Icelandic Króna for 1-4 people, the equivalent of approximately £55/$70.
If you and some other Flashpackers are all getting the same flight, we recommend splitting the taxi journey. Or, you can make use of the convenient SmartBus coaches located nearby which will take you directly to the airport and are much cheaper if traveling alone.
- Can I drive a snowmobile?
You’ll need a driving licence from your home country to ride a snowmobile. If you don’t have one, you can still participate in this experience by riding pillion (you just won’t be able to drive ).
Before going on the snowmobiling excursion, you’ll be asked to sign a disclaimer to confirm you understand that there’s a degree of risk involved, but that you’re physically fit and able to take part in the activity. Snowmobiles are expensive machines and the form also explains that in the unlikely event you damage a snowmobile, you’ll be required to pay for repairs. Your guide will talk you through everything before the excursion to ensure you’re comfortable, but if you would like to see a copy of the disclaimer prior to travel, please feel free to get in touch with us.
- How much should I budget per day for extras?
This trip is nearly fully inclusive and guide and driver tips are included in the cost.
We recommend budgeting 7,000 ISK, the equivalent of 40 GBP / 55 USD per day.
- What fitness levels do I need for this trip?
This adventure is fast-paced and it will challenge you during the glacier hike especially. However, no specific level of fitness is required, we just want to ensure you are happy partaking in the activities like the glacier hike and the cold water therapy session. We recommend having a read-through of the itinerary above, and getting in touch if you have specific questions on fitness.
- Will the itinerary change?
Please be aware that the itinerary, activities, and hotels are subject to change. These changes can happen with little notice due to availability, poor weather, seasonal changes, or other circumstances beyond our control – but we’ll always do our best to ensure it has little impact on your experience. From time to time, we may also make changes to your itinerary to try out new ideas and keep things fresh and exciting.
- What should I pack?
There’s a lot to think about when packing for your Icelandic adventure. You’ll need a range of clothes for the wide variety of activities and the cold weather conditions. The key is to bring plenty of layers to stay warm.
What you pack is personal to you and our list is certainly not exhaustive. If you have any questions about what to pack for your trip to Iceland, please get in touch with one of our friendly Trip Experts.
- A large backpack or suitcase. It’s up to you whether you bring a backpack or a suitcase, but either way, a soft-sided bag is best for packing into transfer vehicles.
- A day bag. This needs to be around 20-25L to fit your daily essentials in, such as water and your camera.
- Layers. Breathable thermal materials are best as a base layer for activities. You will need additional warm layers because the weather can drop very quickly.
- A warm winter coat. Having a warm coat is essential as the temperatures in Iceland can be freezing.
- A waterproof jacket. It could rain at any time of the year, so you’ll need to bring a waterproof jacket.
- Fleeces/sweaters. You’ll need to bring lots of warm sweaters/fleeces with you.
- Windproof clothing. This is essential as wind chill can make the temperature feel a lot lower than it is.
- Outdoor trousers. Outdoor trousers that you don’t mind getting dirty will be perfect for hiking.
- Evening clothes. What you wear in the evening is up to you, but you might want some nicer clothes for going to bars and restaurants.
- Sunglasses. The sun can reflect brightly off the glacier, so we recommend protecting yourself with sunglasses.
- Warm scarf/hat/gloves. It can get very cold in Iceland, especially at night, so we suggest bringing a warm scarf and a hat, along with some gloves.
- Swimwear. For the hotels’ sauna and hot tub as well as your cold water therapy experience.
- Waterproof hiking shoes and warm socks. You’ll need a comfortable pair of waterproof hiking boots for glacier hiking. Thick socks are also essential.
- Comfortable, breathable shoes (trainers/sneakers). A pair of trainers/sneakers are perfect for general wear.
- Evening shoes. Some people might want to bring a pair of shoes to wear out to restaurants and bars.
- Your phone, camera, chargers etc.
- Plug socket adaptors. The standard plug socket in Iceland is type C, which is the standard European plug and has two round prongs.
- Refillable water bottle. Refilling a bottle instead of buying single-use bottles will help to reduce our plastic footprint.
- Eye mask and earplugs. If you’re a light sleeper, you may feel more comfortable bringing an eye mask and earplugs.
- Pocket warmer. If you feel the cold, a pocket warmer may be useful.
- Driving licence. If you would like to drive a snowmobile, you will need to bring your driving licence. If you do not have a driving licence, you’ll be able to ride as a passenger.
- Any personal medication you require.
- Personal toiletries.
- Shampoo and conditioner. Most hotels will provide these, but we recommend bringing your own to reduce plastic usage.
- Anti-bacterial gel.
- Lip balm with SPF.
What Flashpackers say
"What an incredible experience! A must-see gem of an island, with the most incredible sightseeing and food! This trip is perfect for any adventure-seeker looking to explore and experience the many wonders of Iceland. "
"The Iceland trip was the most magical experience of my life. From the food, to the hotels, to our tour guide and the itinerary, it was all amazing. Somehow we had a group of 14 people from all over the world that got along great. I highly recommend Flash Pack and I will be booking with them again. "
"The trip was perfect! Met some of the kindest people who all had the same mindset of just having a great time together. Some great memories were made."
"Great trip with like-minded people. The activities were excellent and the guide ensured the whole group had the best time possible."
"Fantastic experience from Flash Pack - my first trip and it exceeded my expectations in all ways. Great holiday, well worth it and I am already thinking about my next adventure with them!"
As captured on Instagram
The latest from Flashpackers in Iceland on #picsworthsharing
Joining the Flash Pack comes with a few special guarantees
Our mission to create 1 million friendships so we obsess over the group dynamic. Everyone is aged 30-49, 98% travel solo & 80% stay friends. Want to know more about your group? GET IN TOUCH
We operate using a 3rd party trust bank account meaning we guarantee refunds in 14 days if your trip has to be cancelled BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE
Our trips are made up of ‘can’t-do-by-yourself’ experiences – think staying on your own private island in the Arctic and glamping in Land Rovers on the Serengeti SEE TRIPS
We only work with trusted local guides who know their destinations better than anyone. We include guide and driver tips to make sure that our team are well looked after
8 days in Asia
4 days in Finland
Finland's Secret Island
11 days in Sri Lanka
Inside Sri Lanka
4 days in Slovenia
Slovenia's Great Outdoors
10 days in The Americas
5 days in The Americas
Mexico City Immersion
Subscribe to our newsletter
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Hear about our new adventures before anyone else
Talk to an expert
Need help choosing your perfect adventure? Speak to one of our dedicated Travel Advisors now.Contact Us
WHAT TO EXPECT
Hear about our new adventures before anyone else.
Be the first to hear about exclusive Flash Pack offers.
Access exciting competitions.
Receive weekly inspiration and travel stories from solos just like you.